Monday, February 25, 2002

Visit www.loc.gov/copyright/faq.html - which is titled "QUESTIONS FREQUENTLY ASKED IN THE COPYRIGHT OFFICE PUBLIC INFORMATION SECTION"

Scroll down to #58:
"How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?

"Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis. Just send it to us with a form VA application and the $30 filing fee. No one can lawfully use your photo of your sighting, although someone else may file his own photo of his sighting. Copyright law protects the original photograph, not the subject of the photograph."

Does this question really come up as frequently as "How do I put a copyright notice on my work" or are they just yanking our chain here? And I have I just committed a major violation of copyright law by posting that question here, or is covered under fair use?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed