Monday, May 11, 2009

Car Accident!

A funny thing happened on the way to a meeting Wednesday morning...

I was cruising along Summit Road, minding my own business, when I came up behind a car signaling to make a left turn. I stopped a safe distance behind her and was patiently waiting when I was suddenly hit from behind by somebody who must have been going full at least 40-50 mph.

My first thought once it was over and I caught breath: "Where's my damned airbags?"

Second thought, once I glanced into the rear view mirror to see who hit me: "Where's that asshole going?"

Yep. He was pulling out and speeding off down the road. Probably no insurance, no license, who knows what else he lacked or had (warrants? guns? drugs?). Whatever it was, he didn't want to share with us. But I got a description of the vehicle and a partial license number. (Older white pick-up truck, possibly Ford 250, license starts with 7L9...).

Two lucky things:

First, a witness. A resident who just happened to be out on her front porch heard the crash, saw the truck speed off, and called 911 for us.

Second, a good Samaritan. The first person to drive by and stop happened to be a volunteer fireman. He got out flares, helped push my car off to the side of the road, and started checking our vitals even before the paramedics got there.
Ambulance Ride! on Twitpic
Once the EMTs did arrive, they got my neck in a brace, strapped me to a body board, and loaded me into the ambulance for a ride down to the hospital for x-rays. Nothing broken, but neck very swollen, and sore lower back. They gave me a couple of prescriptions, untied me from the board (after 2-1/2 hours), and sent me on my way.

I'm fine now, other than continued soreness in my neck and lower back, but not half as bad as it could have been. Went back to work today and barely made it through six hours. Tomorrow morning I see the chiropractor.

Still waiting to hear from the insurance if they consider the car a total loss or not. The fun never ends, does it?

For a couple of photos of the damage to the car, click here.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Ken, what a pain in the neck ... sorry! I am just glad it was not more serious:)

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Feed