Sunday, January 29, 2006

I suppose every American is obligated to release their 10 Best Films of the Year list before the end of January, so here's mine*:

The 10 Best Films of 2005:

Capote - I'm going to say that this is my favorite movie of the year, primarily for the performances. Great, terrifying, and brilliant.

The close runner-ups for Movie of the Year, in no particular order, are:
Match Point - Munich - Memoirs of a Geisha; all flawless and riveting storytelling. It's only the performance of Philip Seymour Hoffman that lifted Capote out of this pack.

The next grouping, all tied for third place, are:
Walk the Line - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Good Night and Good Luck; each well worth watching and far exceeding my expectations.

Special mention goes to these two, but probably more for personal reasons than because they're great films:
Grizzly Man - Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World

And, finally, there's Brokeback Mountain; I don't think it's as great or groundbreaking as all the hype tells me it is, but it was a good film, and it did get people talking.

* (To be honest, these are actually the only 10 films of 2005 that I can recall seeing off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more, but this is what I recall.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed