Tuesday, April 02, 2002

I just found a great quote:
It is easier to buy books than to read them,
and easier to read them than to absorb them
--William Osler
How true! There's a small, but steady, percentage of the books I buy that for one reason or another I never get into. Either I get busy and never finish reading them. Or I sit and read, but my mind is elsewhere. I turn the pages and don't remember what happened on the previous page. Then I have to turn back to see what new character I'm supposed to know about now.

When that happens it's easy to blame the author. After all, there are certain authors who do manage to keep my attention throughout a book (John Irving, for one, can hold me for 500 pages). But, I think I also have to take some of the blame for my lack of concentration. I need to work more on relaxing, and enjoying what I'm doing at the moment, rather than always thinking about what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed