Saturday, August 17, 2002

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-- Oscar Wilde

I reserve the right to change my mind about that, of course. To be completely consistent would simply mean I'd given up on thinking or analysis.

There are probably some things I've been consistent about, but even within those topics, there have been changes. Being passionate about progressive politics would be one such care. That has been fairly consistent, but what I've done in relation to that passion, and the parties I've supported (both groups and individuals), have been subject to constant scrutiny and change.

The quote goes further than that, however. Many people in a relationship say, "I can't imagine my life without you," and think that that is a compliment. I prefer to say (and would much rather hear), "I can imagine life without you, and choose to stay anyway."

Who wants a lover who's there out of inertia? I want somebody who makes a conscious choice, day to day, to be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed