Saturday, April 19, 2003

It's been a full week now, in the new house. I apologize for going on and on about it, but that seems to be the only thing on my mind. The other day at work my boss walked by and caught me telling somebody something about it and she said, "Is he talking about that house again?"

So, instead, let me tell you about living in a forest. This week, just on and around our property, I've seen several deer, a couple of banana slugs, and an incredible array of birds. All this just within the ordinary course of a day; not even hiking around looking for the stuff.

"Banana Slug (Ariolimax columbianus). Banana Slugs are Mollusks. They are the second largest slug in the world, growing up to 25 cm long. They are so named because very often their coloring resembles a banana, bright yellow body with black spots." --- Locally, they typically don't have the spots, but have very vibrant colors. The Banana Slug is also the mascot of University of California, Santa Cruz, from which Leslie and I each graduated.
banana slug - fiat slug

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed