Friday, April 11, 2003

So much going on, and with such contrast.

Personally, the big move officially starts the moment I finish typing this and shut off the computer. We're incredibly excited to be leaving apartment life and moving into our first house.

What am I looking forward to? My own plumbing. No more sharing a water heater with the neighbors, waiting for them to finish showering before I can get in, or - worse of all - having them turn on the shower or flush a toilet while I'm already showering and I'm left covered with soap and only a trickle of either boiling or freezing water. Laundry, as well, will be a thrill with machines of our own. No more sharing three lousy machines among thirty apartments and having to save up all my quarters for the occasion.

In contrast to the personal excitement and happiness of the house, is the world situation and the continuing war in Iraq. Sure, Saddam has been toppled, but the fighting goes on - and will go on for some time. Anarchy, suicide bombings, assassinations of religious leaders, unrest among our allies (Turkey's not happy about how big a role the Kurd's played).

All, unfortunately, what I predicted would happen. A quagmire that could continue, not for weeks or even months as the administration would have us believe, but for years and possibly even decades.

And, also as feared and predicted, we're already setting our sites on the next target, with broad hints that it "may be Syria or Iran's turn next." I'm sure the North Koreans were happy to miss that short list.

Anyway, my friend Bill has combined these contrasting events - personal and world, thrilling and fearsome - into one graphic image: Saddam toppled into his concept for landscaping our new house:
my new house with toppled Saddam statue in the yard
To see the house as it really is, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed