Thursday, December 13, 2001

If the world were merely seductive,
that would be easy.
If it were merely challenging,
that would be no problem.
But I arise in the morning torn between
a desire to improve the world
and a desire to enjoy the world.
That makes it hard to plan the day.
-- E.B. White --

Unfortunately, it really does feel that there is that choice some days: improve the world or enjoy it, but not both. My chosen career in the nonprofit sector is geared towards fulfilling the desire to improve the world. Lately, with this new job however, it's been getting in the way of my writing, and other pursuits to enjoy the world.

But I know that a balance can be achieved. I've achieved it in the past, and I know I can get there again: to that spot where the line between enjoying and improving blur. That's when you know you're doing something right. That's when it is no longer hard to plan the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed