Sunday, June 06, 2004

What can you say about a 93 year-old politician who died? I'm sure it comes as no surprise to any of my regular readers that I was never a fan of Ron Reagan, outside of his movies. But I don't think it's quite yet the time to take up the reasons why I thought he was the monster who destroyed America.

But that was a long time ago, and I'm far more concerned with the monsters he begat. Reagan long ago ceased to be a problem that I was concerned about. And so, today, I'm just trying to remember that, whatever disagreement I had about just about his every political move, I at least considered that he was a sincere man who honestly believed in what he was doing.

In my email today, somebody forwarded to me a column by Greg Palast (author of The Best Democracy Money Can Buy - highly recommended), entitled "Killer, Coward, Conman; More Proof that Only The Good Die Young." It was well written, and I agree with it all, I just wonder if it couldn't have waited another couple of days. If you want to see it, you can probably find it at www.GregPalast.com.

No matter how much I may have hated Reagan the president, there's no reason to rejoice at the death of Reagan the man. The only reason to look upon this as a positive thing is that he is at least no longer suffering. The last decade of his life was penance enough for what he did to America. Let him rest in peace now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed