Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Still alive? Or have you been sucked into the YouTube?

Well, it seems that the prophecies of the House of Yahweh were wrong: No nuclear war began yesterday. So, there they are now, with egg on their face.

Of course, I hadn't planned on anything to post today, just in case they were right.

Frankly, I found myself wondering this morning if this blog is worth even keeping up. Of course, I'll continue to post whether or not anybody reads it - I'm just sick in that regard.

What has me thinking this is my experience on YouTube over the last couple of weeks. I posted my first video there on September 1, and have since posted a few more. Those videos have received a total of 2,117 views (as of this morning), and already 30 people have signed up to "subscribe" to my next videos. (Click here to see my "channel" if you're interested.)

By way of contrast, this blog has only received 554 hits in the same period (September 1-12), and my subscriber base is a bit less than 30. I've been writing this blog for five-and-a-half years. I've been on YouTube less than two weeks.

I haven't fully decided what to make of this data yet, or where it will lead me in my writing, etc. While the videos I've posted so far have not been very deep (deliberately not), I am impressed by the ability to reach so many people is such a short time.

A friend the other day told me that YouTube was a "time sink." I agree. But I'm fascinated never-the-less.

What about you? Are you the only person left who actually reads? Have you started watching YouTube? Love it or hate it, the revolution is being streamed right now.

Tags: , , ,

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Bryan. I actually found you through YouTube, which I spend a lot of time enjoying instead of reading or writing lately. Yours is one of few channels that I subscribe to, and I look forward to more of your videos, but I also intend to visit this page and read more of your writing. I want to disagree with madamtrixie about YouTube, and I am looking for a way to put my writing into a video format, but as of yet I don't know the solution. If I could find an illustrator to work with me on no budget, I would like to post a video of a poem I wrote. That said, there are certain aspects inherent in writing that are lost when you put the words somewhere other than a page. My own writing often deals with aesthetics of the words themselves, or challenges that many people don't even notice I have given myself. The clearest example I can think of for that is writng an entire chapter without the use of the letter "E". I love the challenge, and I feel that producing content for YouTube is another challenge for me. I hope that you will continue to create in both arenas and thrive because of it.

    YouTube : BryanTheNinja
    www.BryanKoch.com

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Feed