Monday, September 10, 2001

According to the latest research, advertising has the ability to create false childhood memories, or alter existing memories. Inspired by Disney World's "Remember the Magic" 25th anniversary ad campaign, researchers created fake ads, depicting Bugs Bunny greeting kids at Disney World. Adults who were shown the fake ads "remembered" shaking hands with Bugs at Disney World as children. In reality, Bugs, of course, works for Warner Brothers, and wouldn't be caught dead on Disney property.

Personally, I doubt that ads could shape memories. I know that my childhood memories are all accurate, and all my own. Like the time my mother bought that new Life cereal, and we were afraid to try it, so we got little Mickey to try it - and he hates everything!

The full story: Ads can alter memory claim scientists

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed