Friday, September 07, 2001

Q: How do you feel about not being heard? What does that feel like, and where did it come from? What do you do about it?

I'll repeat myself. Once. Maybe twice - for somebody I like. But if you didn't hear me by that point, I'm not going to waste my time saying it again.

As the youngest of three sons, I had to repeat myself a lot growing up. Most days, I could get a word in edgewise. So I learned to save it up, to only speak when I have something important to say. If you weren't listening, then that's your problem.

Q: That's good, but it's not exactly what I meant. I wasn't talking about listening; I was asking about hearing. Understanding. How do you feel about not being heard?

Perhaps that's why I'm interested in writing. Through the printed word I can better control the way I communicate. I'm able to get out all I have to say on a subject without being interrupted. The reader can still choose to stop in the middle, but they can't shut me up.

Q: You're still avoiding the question. You're not hearing me.

Ahhh, really? And how does that feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed