Sunday, September 02, 2001

The inevitable finally happened on Friday; the long, slow decline of HandsNet is just about complete. If you recall, I was actually laid off six months ago, as of March 1, but that I was going to help "wrap things up" for a few weeks as a consultant. That relationship continued for six months. The money is now completely gone, and Friday was the last day for which I'll be paid, though not, necessarily, the last day which I'll work. Now begins the wrapping up that was supposed to have begun in March. And now begins the job search, again, in earnest.

Meanwhile, I've been doing quite a bit of writing. I've got a couple of short stories that have been sent out, and are making the rounds of the little, literary journals, another that's just about ready (and may be my best yet), and a couple more in the works.

Is this a good omen? This morning, I saw Batgirl. She wasn't in her crime fighting uniform, but I know it was her. Well, actually, without her costume she'd be Barbara Gordon, the Commissioner's daughter, but you and I each know she's really Batgirl. She's riding a Ninja motorcycle these days, but I still recognized her from the red hair streaming from beneath the helmet.

Now, why is that? I see a young woman ride by on a motorcycle, and just because of her red hair, and approximate physical similarity, I think of Yvonne Craig as Batgirl, and the image stays with me for the rest of the day. Perhaps, years ago, when I was tuning in at the same Bat-time to the same Bat-channel, she was stirring up in me feelings I couldn't yet understand.

In talking about these things with my friends, we usually all agree it was Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha Stevens, or Barbara Eden as Jeannie, or even Barbara Feldon as 99, that aroused our earliest sexual fantasies. But Yvonne Craig as Batgirl, now that's one we often forget, but was certainly worth thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed