Friday, June 15, 2001

I'm listening to Band on the Run by Paul McCartney and Wings. One of the greatest rock albums of all time. It's one of those that gets pushed back into the collection for years on end, then, for whatever reason, I dig it out and am amazed again by how brilliant and relevant it still is.

It was released in December of '73, but my memories of it are more in the 1975-76 period. That was when the debate over who the most talented Beatle was still an important and regularly held discussion. Nine-and-a-half out of ten times, I'll answer on the side of John Lennon. But Band on the Run is the album that makes Wings a serious contender, and not the punch line of a rude joke.

In addition to the hits (Band on the Run, Jet, and Helen Wheels), I've always loved Picasso's Last Words. Today I find myself strangely drawn to Mrs. Vanderbilt as well. I don't know why, I just am.

I've got my original vinyl LP of Band on the Run stashed away, but today I'm listening to the 25th anniversary edition CD. This set includes a second CD with some alternate takes and interviews with Paul and the gang.

Damn, I love this album!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed