Tuesday, May 21, 2002

I'm a member of several Yahoo! Groups, including one called "Journal Inspirations." This morning, I found the following that a gentleman named Roy posted there yesterday:

> I am probably being a wimp but I am feeling much
> apprehension about my operation tomorrow. ...

Well, Roy, I'm right there with you in more ways than you can imagine. I found your message on Tuesday morning, in my last check of my Yahoo! Groups before going in for my own surgery today! I go in at 11:00 AM for a 12:30 scheduled slice-and-dice. The operation is supposed to take about an hour, and they expect to be able to send me home by around 3:00 PM.

My apprehension is not so much about the operation, as about the recovery. The operation is the easy part - I'll be heavily sedated. It's the next week (or more) of sitting around popping pain pills, watching TV, and kicking myself for not having the energy or concentration to be working on a new book that's got me upset.

What will be happening here, in just a few short hours, is my colon will have a small piece cut out of the wall to remove some obstructions that have been bleeding. Not a pretty picture, but it's low enough down that it's not that serious of a procedure (from the doctor's point of view). Without getting into too much nauseating detail, you can imagine that one of the things I'm apprehensive of is how painful it's going to be to eliminate waste product (is that tasteful) if and when I'm able to eat.

Elimination is also one of the signs that I'm ready to leave the surgical center today. After surgery (which will take an hour) I'll be allowed to go home once I'm a) fully conscious, and b) able to pee. That they're concerned that I might not be able to pee is also a potential worry of mine.

Anyway, Roy, I hope both of us emerge today with few scars. It's good to know that we won't be alone, but suffering (and popping pills) together. This was not the type of "Journal Inspiration" that I usually expect to find in this group, but it certainly was timely.

All the best,

- Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed