Wednesday, May 22, 2002

I'm still alive - a bit loopy from the drugs - but alive. All went well yesterday and Leslie was able to drive me home at about 3:00 PM. I slept most of the afternoon, went down to watch TV around 6:00, then quickly fell asleep again and was back in bed by 9:30.

Over the last week I had compiled a list of questions to ask the doctor after the surgery regarding recovery - what to expect, what to do, what not to do, etc. While in the prep area, waiting to go into surgery, Leslie was showing the list to anybody she could; the nurse, the anesthesiologist. They all reassured us that my doctor would answer all that and more in the recovery room.

After being wheeled into the operating room I was pleased that the radio was on and playing "Funk 49" by the James Gang (early Joe Walsh). I was rocking out while the anesthesiologist hooked up my IV. He also told the others in attendance about my typed up list of questions.

One of the assistants asked what was on it. I explained that the most important thing was, "What can I eat, and when?" He asked what I wanted, and I replied bar-b-que, which led to an animated discussion among all present about where to go for BBQ locally, as they rolled me from the bed I came in on onto the operating table, face down. And that's about when the drugs hit.

All I remember about the surgery itself was a couple of times they asked about my pain level, but other than that I was completely (and thankfully) unaware of what they were doing back there.

When I woke up in the recovery room they offered me a couple of crackers and a can of Sprite to get things running again. Leslie had already had a long talk with my doctor about the list of questions, and had a stack of information for us to take home. Not too long after that (or so it seemed, it may have been more than an hour) they sent us home.

I went directly to bed and turned on the radio, which happened to be playing "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh (remember the radio in the operating room?). I took that as a good sign, and as adding a nice bit of symmetry to the experience.

And so, today, I'm a little loopy from the drugs, and a bit uncomfortable, but not in too much pain, and in a generally good mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed