Sunday, May 27, 2001

We were at a party last night the highlight of which, for me, was the music. Not simply the choice of music - which was excellent - but the format in which it was played.

Although I've got quite a collection of LPs (probably around 750), it seems I only play CDs these days (a collection of similar size and scope).

Last night, however, our host was spinning a lot vinyl. It's strange how just the ambient sound, the crackles between songs, and the 60 cycle hum of the turntable can bring me back more than twenty years. I'd gotten so used to the seeming perfection of digital, that I'd almost forgotten the warm feeling and full rich sound of analog.

I suppose I was ripe for the experience, as I'd been thinking about digging through some old records quite a bit the last week or so, since posting Mystery Achievement, wondering what other "song stories" I could write.

I'd been thinking primarily about the songs themselves, the parts of my life they recall, and what short stories they would inspire. Then I'd come to realize that nearly every song I was thinking of was one I'd heard first on vinyl. Whether or not it had later been updated to a CD, it was the actual records that I was recalling.

Of course, it could have been the homebrew bringing up those feelings too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed