Tuesday, May 01, 2001

Well, today marks the first day of my third month of semi-unemployment. "Semi" because the organization I work(ed) for, HandsNet, pretty much ran out of money at the end of February, and most of the staff had to be laid off, myself included. (It was a fun day, as I got to lay off my four staff people before signing off myself).

Since then I've still been working for HandsNet, but part time, and as an independent contractor - meaning no benefits, etc. This is far better than unemployment, and it allows me to maintain my position in case we actually raise the funds necessary to continue, but it is far from desirable (security-wise).

And so, to the job hunt. Here's the breakdown of leads for the 19 jobs I've applied for so far - The first number is the number of jobs, the number in parenthesis is the number of interviews:
  • bajobs.com - 1 (1)
  • craigslist.org - 10 (4)
  • monster.com - 3 (1)
  • Opportunity NOCs (print) - 1 (0)
  • Opportunity NOCs (web) - 1 (0)
  • YNPN jobs listserv - 2 (1)
  • None (contacted by employer) - 1 (1)
  • Mercury News (print) - 0 (0)
  • bayarea.com - 0 (0)
  • hotjobs.com - 0 (0)


For those who care about such statistics, that's an interview for 42% of jobs applied for. That's supposed to be very good, as the "experts" say you should only get one interview for every ten resumes sent (10%). Which means, the cover letters are good, the resume's good, it's just me they don't like.

So far, no second interviews, although I'm expecting to hear from one of last week's jobs later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed